Asparagus Stir Fry – Indian
Asparagus – I have only heard the word till I landed in the US. It was a strange vegetable to me for a long time. I usually avoided this vegetable everywhere I went not knowing how it tastes. I was served this vegetable in one of the dinner events at a conference, and I fell in love. The crunch and softness together adds an extra level of taste to this vegetable. When I came home I browsed more about this vegetable and decided to cook this at home.
I am crazy about cooking anything in the Indian style and quickly decided on a recipe for Asparagus Stir Fry. It is quite simple for anyone who is used to Indian cooking at home. I did read through a list of nutritional benefits of Asparagus, and there are quite a few to consider eating them on a regular basis.
Asparagus is: [Source: http://www.asparagus.org/maab/nutrition.html ]
- Asparagus - 1 bunch (chopped into 1 cm pieces)
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Green chillies - 2 finely chopped
- Red chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 0.5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Canola oil / Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 6 to 7
- In a medium wok, add oil and when it is hot enough, add the cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- When the cumin seeds start spluttering, add the green chillies and onions.
- Cook until the onions become translucent and the raw onion smell goes away.
- Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the chopped Asparagus and mix well.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Your asparagus stir fry is now ready to serve.
- Serve hot with rice/quinoa.
- Asparagus requires more salt than other Indian dishes. So keep checking for taste constantly and add salt as necessary.
- Do not cook the vegetable for more than 5 minutes. This will retain the crunchiness.
- You could add grated coconut in the end to make it taste like other Indian stir fry dishes.
- You could add quinoa and cook to serve this as a complete entree.
- You could add egg after the asparagus is cooked, and make it a scrambled egg and asparagus recipe.